Hawkwind and the fans!

cannibal at CUTEY.COM cannibal at CUTEY.COM
Wed Dec 31 13:58:46 EST 1997

Hey, happy new year every one. Figured this last post of mine of 97 should
be a very apt and correct descriptive of Hawkwind and the fans, snipped
from Usenet. This guy thinks what he is describing is a BAD thing! Sheesh,
some folks! :)

Christian

ObCDROM: Hawkwind _Chronicle Of The Black Sword_!!

TUBULAR 1 wrote:

To explain to somebody who never heard about Hawkwind before, here is my
observation:

I Had Hawkwind perform at the Palace a few years ago and was at a loss for
words on how poorly these folks lived together and seemed to live completely
off Pot and whatever drugs to keep them going... Nice Guys, yeah, but so are
the Cows on O:land in Sverige!

The stuff they performed was a conglomeration or a pudding stone if you so
wish
of noise! And, an attempt at steadfast rhythm, through two drummers who were
both pretty lame... The sounds were based on Pink Noise meets White Noise
under
the guise of Rock & Roll...
(kinda sad and worn out statement in the 90s...)

The Palace, A 1400 seater, had some 400 seemingly equally stoned people (most
of them students from or genuine relics of the Hippie era) on the floor,
possibly unaware of the perpetual strobe lights and over use of smoke and
virtually no lights to see this band...

Some film and looped sequential slides were shown although they never reached
the stage because of all the smoke, so the folks on the floor (and that's
where
they all were) couldn't see any of that (NB. If they Could see the band, they
would probably be as shocked as the house crew were during Soundcheck)
It was all kinda like some of the early to mid 90s Metal Industrial Bands...
Only, I can't recall them playing as much as one song... There was some
humming
and low mixed vocals, but that just matched their talents...If you ever see a
Hawkwind show, Don't ever expect it to be anything like some of their 70s
albums that actually had a song or two on them, one that comes to mind is the
album In The Hall Of the Mountain Grill....(Nice Album cover too)

Now, I saw Hawkwind 4 times, 1970, 1973, 1974, and 1990 or was that 1989...
I've never done any drugs, so exclude me from the trippy crap that only those
under the influence can appreciate...(see any textfile for The Grateful
Dead on
this one too) I liked perhaps a couple of their songs, but in general, it's
nothing but endless sound orgies , introvert jams which amazingly seemed to be
going over well with this audience... (Most of these folks are the same
panhandlers you see in the streets, so I wonder how on earth they got inside
the venue this night) and thus have nothing to do with BOC whatsoever....