OFF: Earplugs, Metallica, Pat Boone, Zappa et al

Ken Alexander kalex at EECS.UMICH.EDU
Sat Feb 1 23:13:50 EST 1997

> Anyway, I forgot to save the info about suitable earplugs to wear to gigs
> last time it cropped up.  I'm mindful about my hearing nowadays (maybe
> it's something to do with all the psychophysics I'm taking lately?:), so I
> don't want the high-frequency, high-pain sounds to have my ears ringing
> for days afterwards.

I prefer the foam cylinders that you insert in your ears.
Various types can be found under the name "Quiet Space" or "Husher"
in better drug stores and some college supply stores, or under
the name "Hearos" at music stores like Tower Records.

Other insertable types include waxy blobs and rubber stoppers, which
are less effective for noise and used more often for waterproofing.

Gun shops and hardware stores usually have the external kind that
look like jumbo earmuff/headphones, which you probably don't want.
They're bulky and are much less effective for noise; their advantages
are that they can be shared and can be easily taken on and off and
set down even when your hands and your environment are all dirty.