OFF: Earplugs, Metallica, Pat Boone, Zappa et al

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Feb 3 10:05:52 EST 1997

> From:          John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>

> As far as earplugs go, I really like "Sonic II Noisefilters" (I think
> that's the name), available in music stores.  The idea behind their
> design is that they filter out more of the intense high-frequencies
> which cause most of the "ringing" in your ears, while not giving you
> that "plugged up" feeling in your ears.  You can carry on normal
> conversations with them and hear fine.  Because of the way they are
> designed, their decibel "rating" is fairly low - but that's because the
> standard tests are done at I believe 1 KHz, which is not terribly
> high in frequency, and not in the range where they filter the most.
> Speaking from personal experience, I've used them at loud concerts
> in both clubs and arenas, and I really like them.  They are a bit
> large for my ears, so if they're in for more than a few hours they
> start to hurt my ears a bit, but this is a minor temporary thing
> that I'm willing to deal with to preserve my hearing, and not wake
> up the next morning with "noise hangover".  They cost around $10 BTW.
>
> John

I've had pretty good experiences with Sonic IIs as well.  I often use
them while playing certain gigs where I'm, directly in line with amps,
or more damaging, cymbals played by a loud drummer.  Some times you
can get by with just one earplug if you're stanind in such a way to
not get too much of  a blast.

There's a new kind of earplug being made now that has to be fitted by
a MD.  I believe they're custom-made to fit perfectly and are
supposedly a big breakthrough in hearing protection.  I hear [sic]
they're quite expensive, though, around a hundred bucks, and I don't
know if that includes the exam!  But really, if you go to a lot of
concerts, or play in a band, or even just work in a factory, they
might be a good investment.

Can't believe there are so many Rush fans on a BOC list.  I can't see
any connection between the two.  Any theories?
theo