Rush fans on BOC-L

Alex S. Garcia artefact at IMAGINET.FR
Tue Feb 4 20:52:44 EST 1997

>Even though I'm a
>huge HW fan, I must admit that many of the fans (of both bands at BOC-l)seem
>like stuck-in-the-mud types with musical interests that ceased growing
>approximately 20 years ago.
>I mean there have been an awful lot of great
>bands from every time period, and I guess I just get a little upset
>sometimes with the narrowness of some people's tastes.  Does anybody on this
>list buy music by relatively "new" bands which aren't related to HW or BOC?
>I sometimes wonder.

Whoooooaaaaaaaah ! You're not afraid of getting flamed, are you ?
Oh boy, I think there's a war coming :-o

Quite frankly, I think you're being overly dramatic and maybe a bit harsh as
well. I've been on this list for almost a year and I have seen some more
recent bands mentioned before.

But then again, even though I listen to a lot of various stuff (including
"modern" artists like Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, REM, U2, Toto, Babylon
Zoo, Chris DeBurgh, Howard Jones, etc, etc, etc) I must admit that I tend to
prefer stuff from the 70's. This coming from a guy who was born in 1970 and
only started listening seriously to music & buying albums in the mid-80's. I
now own some 700+ albums, so I think I can reasonably label myself (though I
hate labels ;-) eclectic and pretty open. In fact, one of the things I like
most is to discover stuff I don't know and haven't even heard of before, and
God knows there are plenty of those out there :-) I tend to listen to just
about anything, old or recent, although I usually dislike commercial stuff
(keep away Madonna, Michael Jackson and the like, please, thank you)... and
although, as said above, I also tend to prefer older stuff.

Okay, I think I'm rambling. So back to the point. What I'm trying to say
here is that I am pretty certain I am not the only one on this list to
listen to a lot of different stuff (I know of at least 3 or 4) and the fact
that all of us (or most) tend to like older matter better might have a good
reason for it. I'll take one Kansas album for two REM albums anytime, even
though I love REM. Same thing goes for Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana or even U2
as opposed to BOC, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, David Bowie, etc. You just can't
compare.

Sure, there are great bands today as well. Granted. But, IMHO, they're not
even half as good as most of the older bands.

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
  (with links to the Icarus Encyclopedia, Artefact, Rock
  In Progress, Slash, Micronos and more to come...)