Rush fans on BOC-L

RJ SPRAWL at STARLINX.COM
Tue Feb 4 17:41:33 EST 1997

.  Ask for a HW fan's top ten bands, though, and you're
> more likely to see things like Ozric Tentacles or Gong.

well,of course they are there or were at one time.they have a very similar
spirit.

 >Even though I'm a
> huge HW fan, I must admit that many of the fans (of both bands at
BOC-l)seem
> like stuck-in-the-mud types with musical interests that ceased growing
> approximately 20 years ago.  I mean there have been an awful lot of great
> bands from every time period, and I guess I just get a little upset
> sometimes with the narrowness of some people's tastes.

i am a little upset with the narrowness of your observation..i know
literally hundreds of hawkwind fans,
and can't think of ONE who fits your description.in fact,hawkwind fans,to
my experience,have a much more diverse range of musical interests than most
other diehard fans.

 >Does anybody on this
> list buy music by relatively "new" bands which aren't related to HW or
BOC?
> I sometimes wonder.  I own 90+ Hawkwind and Hawkwind spinoff CDs in
addition
> to countless bootleg tapes, videos and vinyl, but just to cite my
diversity
> (or possible lack of) I also own releases from bands such as:  Guided By
> Voices, Cocteau Twins, Thin White Rope, Pale Saints, Flying Saucer
Attack,
> Dinosaur Jr., the Cure, Smiths, Morrissey, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Husker
Du,
> Naked Raygun, Current 93, Smashing Pumpkins, Stereolab, R.E.M., Lush,
Swans,
> Superchunk, Throwing Muses, His Name Is Alive etc.  Of course there are
the
> expected favorites like Tangerine Dream, Can, Gong, Ozric Tentacles etc.
also.
> I don't know what this proves.  Just thought you'd be interested.

i own material from quite a few of the bands you mentioned,and a whole slew
of other bands that you didn't mention.for instance, i have one of very few
copies of the best video available from GBV,that i can
almost guarrantee you don't have.(not gloating,merely pointing out that my
interest in them is deep enough that i have inside lines to the band.send
me a blank tape and postage and i will be happy to
make you a copy.)

did it ever occur to you that the reason hw listmembers tastes seem limited
is that this list is for discussing hw and hw related (boc too,of course)?i
mean,if ya wanna talk about soundgarden,or
garbage,or splashing bumpkins,or phish,or the church,or suzanne vega,or
praxis,or seal,or the red hot chili peppers,or the screaming trees,or
current93,or the bevis frond,or swervedriver,or steroid maximus,
or blodwyn pig, or blood oranges,or suburban blues,or any of many
others,just find a way to connect it to hw or boc.
im not gonna get nasty,but i think we would all like to hear an apology of
sorts from you. for there are no two ways about  it,and no debate- YOU ARE
WRONG.

> PS: After seeing the Love In Space video, I don't feel so antagonistic
> toward Ron Tree!

glad to hear that......sounds like you're broadening your horizons a bit.
;)
rj