OFF: Disco & the 70's

Alex S. Garcia artefact at IMAGINET.FR
Wed Feb 5 08:54:28 EST 1997

>P.S.  Here's something that always annoys me, and perhaps some of you too.
> Doesn't it drive you crazy whenever the general public equates seventies
>music with disco?  Maybe it's that short term memory thing, and all they
>remember is 1979 or something, but they conveniently forget they there were a
>heck of a lot of years to the seventies before disco came along!

Pretty damn true !

>Of course,
>disco did herald the downfall of most intelligent popular music, so I guess
>its historical significance can't be denied, but still...

And also, in my case, disco was kind of my initiation into music, my doorway
in. That (and The Police) was the first kind of music I really got to listen
to (especially the Bee Gees, Village People and Abba), even though - as I've
said - I didn't get to buy anything seriously until the mid-80's when the
disco era was almost over. So I quickly grew out of it. But because disco
was one of my first contacts with music, I will always keep a certain
(nostalgic, I guess) fondness for this particular kind of music. And, heck,
I still like the Bee Gees ! There, I said it *grin*
        Then again, I also listened to a lot of country music back in the
late 70's early 80's (on the radio, of course, like the above), but unlike
disco, I don't retain any particular kind of nostalgic feelings for that
kind of music nowadays. I don't hate it, and can listen to some stuff once
in a while (in particular Garth Brooks or Linda Ronstadt), but I can do
quite fine without, thank you ! :-)

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
  (with links to the Icarus Encyclopedia, Artefact, Rock
  In Progress, Slash, Micronos and more to come...)