OFF: Screams and things

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Wed Feb 5 13:26:15 EST 1997

Troy Harris writes:

> On Mon, 3 Feb 1997 shillada at GATWICK.GECO-PRAKLA.SLB.COM wrote:
>
> > I can't believe nobody has mentioned Mr Ian Gillan's screaming  through most of 'Child in Time'.
> >
> > It was this ear splitting display that won him the original part of 'Jesus Christ Superstar'.
>
>   Yes, yes, yes.  The *only* decent screamers are all heavy metallers.
> You want screams?  How about Rob Halford on Victim of Changes or Screaming
> for Vengeance?

Actually, one of the things that disappointed me about the title track
from "Screaming for Vengeance" is that it's done at too brisk
a pace for Halford to develop one of his really *full-throated* screams
(those take time to develop, you can't rush them).

Now, "Dreamer Deceiver", *that's* got some bitchin' screams in it.
And the greatest thing is the way it works his vocals through *all*
of his range, building from the deepest registers right up into
the stratospheric, "aren't you glad you're not a dog" screaming.

Steve
swann at panix.com