Stuck in the Mud

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Feb 5 15:35:00 EST 1997

>Ask for a HW fan's top ten bands, though, and
>you're more likely to see things like Ozric Tentacles or Gong.  Even though
I'm a
>huge HW fan, I must admit that many of the fans (of both bands at
>BOC-l)seem like stuck-in-the-mud types with musical interests that ceased
growing
>approximately 20 years ago.

A pretty general assumption.  BOC and HW have been in the industry for
quite some time, their offspring+s/relations are probably near the same
age.  Its more a function of the list and the bands being discussed as
opposed to peoples personal taste. Also how many people on this list are
part of other discussion groups?  You may be presuming because various
bands are not discussed people don+t like them.

>  I mean there have been an awful lot of great
>bands from every time period, and I guess I just get a little upset
>sometimes with the narrowness of some people's tastes.  Does anybody on
>this list buy music by relatively "new" bands which aren't related to HW or
BOC?
>I sometimes wonder.

Well since you ask.  I+m no music maven, my CD collection is less than
150.  Of those they are split pretty evenly between bands who were big
in the 70+s 80+s (BOC, Triumph, Frank Marino, Y&T) and bands who have
emerged in the 90+s (Queensryche, King+s X, Galactic Cowboys, Gary Hoey,
Dream Theater, Threshold, Masquerade, Shadow Gallery, Pink Cream 69,
Pretty Maids, Fates Warning etc.,)  Granted my 90+s bands aren+t heard
on the radio very much but doesn+t mean they aren+t good bands.  I+m not
familiar with all of your list, OK a few of them, but I don+t write them
off as being bad, well Nirvana and the Smashing Pumpkins don+t do much
for me 8^).

Bottom line if any of the few bands I mentioned grab your attention and
you fell like discussing them off line, e-mail me anytime.  Most people
on this list will tell you I never shut up or stop typing.  Be happy to
discuss them. 8^)

Alex > Whoooooaaaaaaaah ! You're not afraid of getting flamed, are you ?
Oh boy, I think there's a war coming :-o-

Howls.  Were you around for the super sensitive days Alex?

>P.S.  Here's something that always annoys me, and perhaps some of you too.
 >Doesn't it drive you crazy whenever the general public equates
seventies
>music with disco?  Maybe it's that short term memory thing, and all they
>remember is 1979 or something, but they conveniently forget they there were
>a heck of a lot of years to the seventies before disco came along!  Of
>course, disco did herald the downfall of most intelligent popular music, so I
guess
>its historical significance can't be denied, but still...

Never had that problem.  I grew up in Washington, DC, not the suburbs of
Maryland or Northern VA but inside the city limits.  While New York and
LA and these places were doing the hustle with Van McCoy, DC residents
remained strong to the church of FUNK, pure unabashed Funk.  George
Clinton and his many bands were bigger here than anywhere in the world.
His album Chocolate City was about DC.  We never wavered on disco.  Even
today you can hear DC+s unique brand of music its called  "Go-Go" in
night clubs radio stations everywhere.  Go Go is totally funk based
rhythms.  Just scanning the radio stations in your area you may have
caught remnants of a song called Let Me Clear My Throat, by DJ Kool.
That is the DC sound, accept no imitations.  Sorry for the rambling but
when it comes to disco, that era never really existed here. Thank God.
Rock and Funk is all we knew.  And don+t let anybody from the suburbs of
Wash. tell you different. 8^)

L8er

lil ab

obcd - Galactic Cowboys - Feel The Rage EP

Genius and a rebel are the way
that you+re perceived
But how could anyone be so
utterly deceived