this could prove interesting

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Wed Feb 5 16:36:28 EST 1997

----------
From:   John McIntyre[SMTP:MCINTYRE at PA.MSU.EDU]
Sent:   Wednesday, February 05, 1997 3:38 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
Subject:        this could prove interesting

My job at MSU is to prepare the lecture halls for classes.  Each morning
before the first class of the day I play Tangerine Dream over the PA.
There's several reasons for my choice of Tangerine Dream:

     1)  The music has to be faded out when class begins at 8AM.  For some
         reason, I'm more comfortable with fading out instrumentals than
         vocal numbers.
     2)  There's enough Tangerine Dream albums to take me through the whole
         semester.
     3)  I *like* Tangerine Dream. (-8

Me, too, well most of the early stuff (up until Franke left. From then on, it was downhill,
with a few brief glimmers...)

     4)  I don't want to be too rough on the kiddies: it is before 8AM, after
         all.
     5)  I have an easy answer when someone asks, "What was that music you
         were playing last Wednesday?" (-8

This morning's offering was the soundtrack to _Wavelength_.

After class, the professor asked if tomorrow I could bring in "something
heavier, something to wake them up."

Hey, what about using "Electronic Meditation"???? That'd get the ol' blood pumping...:->

Or perhaps, "Song Of The Whale Pt. 1", or "Diamond Diary" or "Quichotte Pt 2" or (slapping forehead
'cuz this is SO obvious!!!) the part of "Logos Pt. 1" where the vocal effect is "WAKE UP!!"

I'll let you know what he thinks of Hawkwind's _Hall Of The Mountain Grill."

John McIntyre
Physics - Astronomy Domine Dept
Michigan State University
mcintyre at pa.msu.edu