Rush fans on BOC-L

Chris Warburton desdinova at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 6 06:20:59 EST 1997

In re. the following:
>I too, am someone who was born (1965) long before I became seriously
>interested in music (early to mid-eighties), but (as is my wont) I >gravitated
toward the more sophisticated music once I had discovered >it, and (surprise,
surprise) most of the best music turns out to have >been created in the early
to mid-seventies.  Given the limitations

The major flaw in this argument is to confuse "complexity" with
"sophistication".  I'm a little older (1956) and actually grew up with 70s
music.

So:

> Doesn't it drive you crazy whenever the general public equates >seventies
music with disco?  Maybe it's that short term memory thing, >and all they
remember is 1979 or something, but they conveniently >forget they there were a
heck of a lot of years to the seventies >before disco came along!  Of course,
disco did herald the downfall of >most intelligent popular music, so I guess
its historical >significance can't be denied, but still...

Excuuuse meee. by the late 70s a lot of us here in the UK (who were fans of a
lot of "progressive" bands got fed up with the members of Yes disappearing down
their own navels, and so-called AOR bands playing watered down rock for the
young marrieds) were immensely relieved by the arrival of punk  and the
parallel rise of bands like Motorhead - basically the return of kick-ass
rock'n'roll.  Fortunately BOC held their heads high through this period.
There's a place for all kinds of music, and I'm sorry if I offend anybodys
delicate sensibilities, but disco's got b*gger-all to do with it.  I can stack
up plenty of brilliant 70s music, but by '76 there was a rising tide of
pretentious guff, but after that things got better: The Clash in their heyday
were probably the greatest live band in the world.  Just to hrl back a little -
the loudest thing I ever heard was Motorhead in about '79-'80 at the 76 Club in
Burton on Trent. The entire club is about the size of the ground floor of the
average American suburban home: my ears rang for about 3 days.

Ah well, that's enough of my grizzled old rantings for now.

Chris Warburton's Personal Mailbox

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine"
                                               -R.E.M.
My Home page:

http://members.tripod.com/~Meliadus/index.htm

I am a Patternwalker - http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/