BOC: Article in Seconds Magazine

Thu Feb 6 08:44:55 EST 1997

Carl responding to me:

> Pearlman (on Imaginos):  "Columbia gave me money to create this thing
> using a lot of musicians, not Blue Oyster Cult.  It was NOT Albert's
> solo album.  I don't know where this comes from.

        Perhaps someone should let him know about all those demo tapes
for it Al has.

        I mean, sure, it was a lot of Pearlman's ideas but was he performing
them?  If I wrote an entire album full of tunes for Eric Bloom and he
recorded them on his own, would that be the Anderson-Bloom Band? No, it
would be an Eric solo album.  Or was Pearlman thinking of singing? :)

Yeah - Pearlman seems to have forgotten the fact that Albert was
writing music for Imaginos since around 1975.  He had some demos of
many of the tunes for Imaginos (some in much different form - which
I'd love to hear) for sessions for I believe *Spectres*, *Mirrors*,
and *Cultosaurus Erectus*.  Of course "Astronomy" and "The Subhuman"
(aka "Blue Oyster Cult") were recorded on *Secret Treaties*, and I
believe Joe Bouchard had a version of "In the Presence of Another
World" that the band worked up around the time of *Spectres* as
well.  Sure, without Pearlman, there would have been no Imaginos.
But without Albert, Imaginos would have just been a collection of
poems.

John