OFF: Disco, punk, etc.

Alex S. Garcia asg at IMAGINET.FR
Thu Feb 6 10:34:21 EST 1997

>Excuuuse meee. by the late 70s a lot of us here in the UK (who were fans of a
>lot of "progressive" bands got fed up with the members of Yes disappearing down
>their own navels, and so-called AOR bands playing watered down rock for the
>young marrieds) were immensely relieved by the arrival of punk  and the
>parallel rise of bands like Motorhead - basically the return of kick-ass
>rock'n'roll.

Well, I think Adrian (lil ab :-) said it best. It all depens where you lived
when it all happened. But of course, you are right mentioning punk, it did
have a huge success & following in those days. But I think this was true in
the UK more then anywhere else. I'm sure it didn't hit the States quite as
violently (though I couldn't swear on it, since I wasn't there) and it
certainly wasn't as important as disco here in France. It did have its
impact (we even had our very own punk bands ! *grin*) but disco was without
doubt much bigger, at least here. And then again, maybe it also depends on
which part of France you lived in. Hmm... I'd even go further, it might also
have depended to which social class you were in. I mean, the unemployed
stuck in problems up to their neck might have been more inclined into
listening to the music of those who yelled everywhere "NO FUTURE", while
those best inserted in social life might have listened to disco more easily,
the kind of music you can dance and have fun on. Dunno. Just an idea.

>Fortunately BOC held their heads high through this period.

Uh... except for "Mirrors". Sorry to insist on this, but I really find that
album very "disco-esque"... but no, I'm not trying to start this thread
again. Just couldn't resist commenting the above quote.

BTW... let us not forget that the late 70's and early 80's also saw the
birth of another successful kind of music : new wave ! So of course, there
wasn't ONLY disco, but again, I think it just depended where you lived when
the wave struck *grin*

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
  (with links to the Icarus Encyclopedia, Artefact, Rock
  In Progress, Slash, Micronos and more to come...)