BOC: Article in Seconds Magazine

M R Godwin hssmrg at BATH.AC.UK
Thu Feb 6 11:30:07 EST 1997

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, John A Swartz wrote:

> Or, BOC had a knack for writing very cool music to fit Pearlman's
> lyrics and images.  Probably a little of both.  Certainly Pearlman's
> influence on early BOC can not be denied.

I have always assumed that Pearlman created the band in his own image,
deliberately echoing his own name:

Sandy   =       Blue    ("Now the sand's become a crust, most of you
                         have gone away" - to the blue sea??)

Pearl   =       Oyster  Self-explanatory

Man     =       Cult    The one man and the group around him.

I never believed any of that 'Cully Stout Beer' and 'Trolleybus Cue'
stuff, anyway!

- Mike Godwin