OFF: Disco, punk, etc.

dench M.G.Dench at BTON.AC.UK
Thu Feb 6 11:39:01 EST 1997

> Uh... except for "Mirrors". Sorry to insist on this, but I really find that
> album very "disco-esque"... but no, I'm not trying to start this thread
> again. Just couldn't resist commenting the above quote.

If anybody really thinks that 'Mirrors' is a disco album, or is even
'disco-esque', they clearly have never listened to Donna Summer or Amii
Stewart.  When everyone started going on about 'Mirrors' recently I gave
it a listen, and it seems to me that it is just a natural progression from
the direction they were taking on 'Spectres'.  If you want to classify it
as anything, then AOR. It is not nearly as bad as everyone maintains -
there are some good songs on it, it's just that it is somewhat blandly
arranged and produced.  It is no better and no worse, IMHO, than any other
BOC album after AOF, with the exception of Imaginos.

While we are one the subject, I often see CE referred to as if it is a
great metal album.  I like the album, and there are some great songs on
it, but I must say that I have heard raunchier and more driving albums!
In fact, there is nothing on it that rocks like 'Heavy Metal' on FoUO,
IMHO.

End of speech.

Martin