OFF: Progressive really progressive?

dench M.G.Dench at BTON.AC.UK
Fri Feb 7 07:07:11 EST 1997

I would not burden KC with the label 'progressive'.  Indeed, their music
in the days of the classic Fripp/Wetton/Bruford/Cross line-up could be
better defined as 'mercurial'.  And if anyone has sampled the delights of
the 'Great Deceiver' box set, they would perhaps realise they should be
fitted either into the free-jazz category or psychedelic, on the basis of
much of their live performances being improvisational - not something that
I have ever witnessed to any great extent from the so-called 'progressive'
bands.  In fact, they always seemed rather too structured for my liking.

Martin