BOC: Disco Dancing?

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHL.COM
Fri Feb 7 10:50:00 EST 1997

dench >If anybody really thinks that 'Mirrors' is a disco album, or is
even
'disco-esque', they clearly have never listened to Donna Summer or Amii
Stewart.

True enough its not pure disco.  But doesn+t disco carry a wide
interpretation?  Some people consider anything danceable disco; I think
you+d have a really difficult time trying to find dance music on
Mirrors. You could always do that little Bruce Springsteen shuffle
though. 8^)

Theo> I think most people on BOC-L would say that Specters was a pretty
good album too.  Personally, I think things went downhill after
Secret Treaties...

I would agree with this from the aspect that ST was the top of the hill.
 They never did a finer album before or after.  Not saying everything
sucked just that ST could never be topped.

Damon> I think that you ought to play "Moanjam" by King's X to wake the
pupils
up. See what the old Prof thinks of that! Don't turn your PA up too loud
because in the event of too much volume, grant money will be spent
to replace the system.

Yowza.  Your friend is very wise Damon.  I am major KX fanboy and this
is one awesome song.  Real disappointed they didn+t keep this in the Ear
Candy Tour setlist.  Its to die for.

> I take perverse pride at having grown up within spitting distance
of BOC and never having heard of them until I moved to Boston :)

Cheers,
Carl

HOWLS!

Alex>-Hmm... well, I agree prog rock is hard to define. But I know a
prog song
when I hear one, that's all I can say for certain ! ;-)

Right On Alex.  It may be prog to my ears but with some classifications
I scratch my head.  Much the same way people say there is heavy Rush
influence in King+s X music (I don+t really hear it) or that Threshold+s
brilliant Wounded Land sounds like Dream Theater (not to me).  I find it
ridiculous to see a label on some band+s CD wrapper saying "For fans of
Rush and Marillion..."  What the hell is that supposed to mean, every
Rush fanatic loves Marillion too? Guess I+ll have to operate on the more
general principals of good rock and bad rock.  BTW I always see
Marillion in the Prog category here.

William  D.>Pat Boone has recorded an album of heavy metal songs.
Bizarre!!!
By the way, what tracks are on the album (apart from "Smoke on the
Water")?

William Fuller> I know of two, "No More Mr. Nice Guy" and "Stairway to
Heaven."

Add to that Van Halen+s Panama and a R J Dio song, something from Holy
Diver if I+m not mistaken.  Boone covering Dio, man you can+t get much
more sick and twisted than that.  Can+t wait for this thing to hit the
discount bin. 8^).

Aaron Crandall >Am I the only one on this list that likes Revolution By
Night?

Don+t think so Aaron.  I cut my teeth on Rock with BOC in the 70+s.  I
then went for a long spell of not listening to any music period.
Discovered a co-worker who was also a BOC fan.  On a lark saw the
Oysters at a local club in 94 and was once again hauled into the Rock
and Roll Void.  Up to this point I had lost all track of the band.  The
last album I had bought was probably Mirrors and I recall being a little
disappointed with it.  As luck would have it the first BOC CD I
purchased was RBN.  At the time I bought that one I thought it was the
best from BOC since AOF/Specters possibly even ST.  After hearing
Imaginos and FoUO I no longer hold it in the same regard but I think its
a fine effort, I even like Light Years of Love.

lil ab

(receipt dated 2/6/97 shows 205 subscribers - welcome newbies or welcome
back old timers)