BOC: Points for Albums/Ramblings

M R Godwin hssmrg at BATH.AC.UK
Fri Feb 7 11:16:39 EST 1997

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, BREVARD Adrian R. wrote:
> Ramblings -
> I still have not seen a definition of progressive rock that makes sense
> to me.

I'll have a shot:
1) The basic lineup is amplified rock instruments.

2) But something in the chord structure / time-sigs / instrumentation
   differs from the usual 3 or 4-chord,
   4/4 or 3/4, guitar-bass-drums-keyboard formula.
   Time-signature changes in the middle of the number are a dead giveaway.

3) If it gets to the point where it is just amplified jazz (I mean
   where the individual solos become more important than the song
   as a whole) it becomes jazz-rock.

Some of those Jethro Tull songs like 'The Witch's Promise' are
archetypal prog singles, because they have bits in 7/8 and a flute break.
Despite the Roland Kirk influence, they aren't jazz because the break
is quite short and subordinated to the song.

Having a lead keyboard-player often causes prog, because keyboard players
are often classically-trained and no-one can stop them sneaking in extra
chords and stuff (Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman etc etc).

On the above definition, the Beatles 'went progressive' about the time of
Revolver with all those mellotrons and sitars. The Byrds never did,
though, because they stuck to pretty standard instrumentation and
time-signatures. And I wouldn't think that BOC were, either, because they
stick fairly close to 4 chords and 4/4, though I saw a comparison to 'Yes'
somewhere, and if there was ever a prog band, 'Yes' was it ...

- Mike Godwin

PS What is the maximum number of chords in any BOC song?