BOC: why interesting for prog fans?

Alex S. Garcia asg at IMAGINET.FR
Sat Feb 8 08:08:01 EST 1997

>Then, what /is/ it that makes Blue Oyster Cult so interesting for a part of
the prog
>rock fans?

Well, as I've said before, I think BOC has many songs which can be
assimilated to prog rock (like "The Vigil", "Monsters", "Quicklime girl",
etc...). Furthermore, the fact that they've always avoided repeating
themselves, all of their songs being so rich and different, is in my case a
very strong factor. Plus, of course, the sci-fi lyrics. A lot of prog bands
use SF too. And a lot of people who like prog read SF. (or maybe it's the
other way around, many people who read SF listen to prog - whatever)... can
you tell I read SF ? *grin*

>I assume they at least have different favourite tracks than blues / rock
>oriented BOC fans.

Well, this might come as a big surprise to you, but a lot of prog fans
actually listen to other stuff... they're not as narrow as some may think
*smirk* Anyway, you'll find many prog fans like blues and "regular rock"
(whatever that means).

As far as favorite BOC songs go, a lot of mine are similar to yours. Check
for yourself :

"Last days of May", "Quicklime girl", "Flaming telepaths", "Morning final",
"Godzilla" (maybe because I've never seen BOC live ?), "Nosferatu", "The
Great Sun Jester", "The Vigil", "Black blade", "Monsters", "Unknown tongue",
"Veteran of the psychic wars", "Sole survivor", "Take me away", "White
flags", "I am the one you warned me of", "Frankenstein", "Astronomy" (both
versions) and "Blue Oyster Cult" and many others as well...

Note, though, that there are only four BOC songs which I actually dislike.
One is on AoF ("True confessions") and the three others (surprise ! ;-) on
Mirrors ("Dr. Music", "Mirrors" & "Moon crazy").

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
  (with links to the Icarus Encyclopedia, Artefact, Rock
  In Progress, Slash, Micronos and more to come...)