OFF: Altura review (plus a couple)

MartinPopoff martinp at INFORAMP.NET
Sat Feb 8 20:12:21 EST 1997

Hi Chris,
I just received the Magna Carta catalogue. Altura was one of the more
metallic spreads (what the hell, here's a few other A's from the new stuff
to go in the book also):

Altura - Mercy
(Magna Carta '96)
Magna Carta is a label dedicated to the new wave of progressive rock. Home
to acts such as Shadow Gallery, Tempest, Magellan, Cairo, World Trade and a
raft of cool progressive tribute albums, the label has kept the ethic of the
old prog warhorses alive and thriving. North Carolina's Altura are on the
more metallic end of things. But true to their label's ethic, this comes to
heaviness from prog (of a bewilderingly jazz fusion sort), rather than
taking the stance of metalheads trying to be tricky. Therefore, all the
metal rules are broken, resulting in fluid axework, lush piano, and overt,
often frantic chops mania. Bottom line: my enjoyment of this might have much
to do with optics, but the view is quite a worthy, if somewhat frosty sight.
Rating  7

Anathema - Eternity
(Peaceville/Music For Nations '96)
UK weepsters Anathema have decided to drop the caustics, turning their
black-robed backs on the lurching noises that had them crackling and
cackling like a slow Godflesh or medieval Eyehategod. And I'm sure shiny boy
Tony Platt in as producer had something to do with it, Ã ÃEternityÄ Ä rife
with fresh new textures and melodies, usually brought burnt-winged by
Maiden-ish guitar and increasing waves of keyboards. Add to this many
churchy effects, complex arrangements and feeling, human vocals, and this is
an Anathema that becomes a much more pleasant and provocative listen. A Type
O Negative for the underworld.
Rating      9

Apocalyptica - Plays Metallica By Four Cellos
('96)
These guys look like your basic mopey death metal bunch, but of course what
they're doing here is using cellos to cover Metallica. Best track is
à ÃEnter SandmanÄ Ä, although it's quite impressive what they do with
à ÃCreeping DeathÄ Ä, turning the tune into something that sounds like a
swarm of locusts feasting on a swarm of common house flies. Bloody 'ell
though, the cello can sound quite caustic when it wants, and what better way
to hafta hear them. Here's where I say the novelty wears off after three
listens.
Rating  6

Arcturus - Aspera hiems symfonia
(Century Media '96)
If you want to feel reverberating black metal magnetism, look no further
than this supergroup of sorts, Arcturus demonstrating what can be unleashed
when talented players descend on Norwegian grimrock with classical and
progressive confidence. Arcturus is more a gathering of vets than a true
band, sporting members from Mayhem (Hellhammer!), Ulver, Ved Buens Ende and
Tritonus. But I'd advise our trusted Scandinavian harpies to chuck that
claptrap and focus their evil energies on this classy pile of putrid
pageantry, Ã ÃAsperaÄ Ä really rolling out the carpet, capturing all those
forboding tones in novel musical fashion. Vocals switch off, keyboards are
left to wander woefully, and the drumming is tricksville, making this
probably the cleanest, clearest demonstration of smudgy Norse soot I've
stumbled across.
Rating  8
Martin Popoff: martinp at inforamp.net
Power Chord Press (Riff Kills Man!)