Boc Fan Wants To Learn

RJ SPRAWL at STARLINX.COM
Sun Feb 9 08:28:30 EST 1997

> Hi,
>         I'm new to this list, and a BOC fan forever.  I read a lot of
> talk on this list about Hawkwind.  To tell you the truth, until I joined
> the list early last week, I never heard of them.  You HW fans out there
> have gotten me very interested.  I would appreciate someone out there
> would tell me all about HW; like the kind of rock category they fit
> under, Cds someone can recommend, etc.  I'm always very receptive to new
> music and artists.  Thanks.
> --

(keep in mind,the foloowing represents one persons opinions.....)
hi.
they are considered forerunners of the genre called space rock.pinkfloyd
fit into this catagory
at one time.but hawkwind has changed its sound on practically every new
album.
to a longtime boc fan,i would recommend starting with live
chronicles,levitation,and warrior on the edge of time.  see if you notice
any likeness to boc on the song who's gonna win the war,on levitation...
        WARNING: HAWKWIND HAS A HUGE DISCOGRAPHY,AND YOU SHOULD READ OVER THE ONES
MAINTAINED BY CERTAIN LISTMEMBERS,BEFORE YOU GO ALL OUT BUYING.
some of the comps are flat out ripoffs to anyone with a lot of hw
albums,some should be strictly avoided,
and are only valuable to the rabid collector.of course the big link between
hw and boc is the work
of sci-fi/fantasy writer and musician michael moorcock.(he co-wrote "the
great sunjester","blackblade",
"veteran of the psychic wars",etc.)
wait for other opinions from other listmembers before acting on mine....
here's a stupid lil story....
after hw's 95 tour,i took one of the tour posters to a friends' newly
opened cd store,and asked him to hang it on his store wall(after getting
him to carry a small stock of hw albums.)
he did,and the very next day,a customer (young guy) came in and seeing
it,said he had heard of hw,but not heard them.he purchased two of the cd's
,my friend had in stock. within a month,this guy had bought
every hw cd in everyone of my friends' catalogs.....it happens like that
sometimes... rj