OFF: Re: More Prog Rock Babble

Alex S. Garcia asg at IMAGINET.FR
Sun Feb 9 20:53:01 EST 1997

>i dont really think this is worth arguing about for the simple reason that
>i feel all musical labels are useless,
>that you can fit any band's music into a multitude of these catagories.
>once upon a time,these labels were
>useful in classifying music in the record stores,helping djs decide what to
>play and when, and helping fans find music of similar nature. now, in an
>ever widening search for new sounds,music touches many different
>styles,mixes them in strange ways,ignores them altogether occasionally, so
>that it is now nearly impossible
>to brand a group as this or that. this is good,really. but anymore,you
>almost have to take it song for song,
>i mean this song by boc is straight forward rock,that song is macabre heavy
>metal,and this one seems to
>blend funk with jazz and rock,with classical undertone....

*clapping hands vigorously*
Right on ! I'm with you on this one, RJ. Labels have become quite obsolete
these days. And not just in music, actually, I think the same holds true in
Science-Fiction/Fantasy literature. But that's another story :-)

>i'd also like to point out that your arguments against rush being prog,are
>not working....
>all those things you say make up prog,do in fact apply to rush. rush
>originated late sixties/early seventies.
>definitely synth driven,and major fantasy overtones.
>remember,im not arguing to brand rush as prog. i havent a clue what to call
>it.  all i know,is the last thing i enjoyed by them was moving pictures,and
>a couple of tracks off of signals.
>this all imo,as well,and not intended to be construed as studied
>analysis......       rj  =)

Once again, I totally agree. Rush has definitely used a lot of synths &
fantasy lyrics. One of the things which attracted me to them, actually.

Alex S. Garcia.

Become a Patternwalker ! Visit Corwin's Pattern...
  http://members.tripod.com/~Mandor/
  (with links to the Icarus Encyclopedia, Artefact, Rock
  In Progress, Slash, Micronos and more to come...)