HW-Alien

Mike Parkington Mike.Parkington at UUNET.PIPEX.COM
Mon Feb 10 12:58:50 EST 1997

Funny,

I went to the gigs and thought the "new" numbers were excellent, bought the
album (xenon codex) and thought it was great from the first and I still
think that it is excellent. perhaps there is something wrong with me?

Mike (not Steve Swann) P

I think that it is probably the HLL link up again.

----------
From:   Stephen Swann[SMTP:swann at MINDVOX.COM]
Sent:   10 February 1997 17:57
To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
Subject:        Re: HW-Alien

Jon Browne writes:

> In message <v01530500af228fe7be40@[153.34.146.222]>, Dane Carlson
> <danec at EARTHLINK.NET> writes
> >Hi,
> >   I like damn near every HW album in varying degrees, but I thought
Alien
> >was awful, really awful. I put the blame mostly on Ron Tree, the singer.
> >just hated that album. Anyone else? Is this the HW we can look forward
to?

> >DAne
> Aaah, you'll get used to it. Over the last 15 years I have almost always
> been slightly dissappointed with "the new HW album" however a few months
> later I love it, play it to death etc. the only memorable exeptions to
> the "new HW album" effect were Xenon Codex, Electric Tepee and Captured
> Rotation. Every other album has taken time for me to "get it". But I
> *do* "get it" :)

Heh, when I first bought Xenon Codex (sometime in '89, so it was the
newEST Hawkwind album, if not exactly "new"), I detested it so much
that I threw it on the floor in the middle of the room, and trod on it
for almost a week before picking it up and giving it another listen.

Between Danny Thompson's consistently awful THUD-THUD-THUD drumming,
and those weird ambling comic(?) tracks like Mutation Zone and
Good Evening, I thought it was the *worst album I'd ever heard*.

I got over that phase.  ;-)

These days, of course, Neon Skyline/Lost Chronicles, and Sword of
the East are among my favorite tracks (esp Lost Chronicles, which is
my pick for their best instrumental, ever).

Steve
swann at panix.com

obFunny: it still plays fine, despite the rough treatment.