OFF: Rush prog?

Jerry stayer at PI.NET
Mon Feb 10 10:18:31 EST 1997

Guido Vacano wrote:

> I am familiar with Rush's entire career (I've seen them on five
> consecutive tours, starting with the Permanent Waves Tour in 1980), and I
> still think calling them prog rock is baloney, unless you include
> Metallica, Megadeth, BOC, Helloween, Celtic Frost and Cirith Ungol in the
> same (useless) category. Prog rock refers to a time and a style (i.e., bands
> originating in the late sixties to mid seventies, largely keyboard and
> synthesizer driven tunes with fantasy genre lyrics). Rush is not prog rock.

I hope that the bracketed section is not a "because" for stating you are familiar with
Rush's entire career. Permanent Waves (1980) and Moving Pictures (1981) were the last
prog rock albums Rush did.
Current Rush albums fit the same category as "Metallica [etc.]" a lot better than the
genrally considered prog rock albums 2112 up to Moving Pictures.

Jerry