OFF: Kerry Livgren

Troy Harris tlh at RUBENS.ITS.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Feb 12 08:23:57 EST 1997

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Alex S. Garcia wrote:

> >He was a Christian for _years_, even in the early days of Kansas
>
> Hmm... I have my doubts about this. I remember an interview of Livgren I
> heard on the radio a few years ago while I was in the States, and I seem to
> recall him (or was it the interviewer ?) saying that he had left the band
> because he had become Christian (which seems to indicate that it both
> happened about at the same time).

 I understand that he decided to have a greater commitment to his faith,
and left.

> >listen to the lyrics. _HEAVY_ religious themes...although the band indicates
> >that they weren't "preaching" back then...)
>
> I dunno. I know most of their lyrics and I never really noted any religious
> themes. Or when there was (like in "Miracles out of nowhere") you really
> couldn't be sure whether it was pro- or anti-... You have any specific song
> in mind ?

 Try "Relentless", from Audio-Visions, "The Other Side", from Monolith,
"Carry on wayward son", and heaps of others.  Also, don't forget that one
of the Elephante brothers sang for them for a while.  They (Jon and Dino)
now are one of the leading production groups in Christian music.  Steve
Walsh and Dave Hope are also converts to christianity.  Check out the
inner sleeve artwork for Audio-Visions, too.  Heck, a nest of religious
stuff with this group!!!

> >After leaving Kansas, Livgren
> >formed the Christian rock band A.D. (with one Ronnie James Dio guesting on
> >vocals on one or two tracks!!!)

 A.D.'s "prime mover" is a great album.

   Troy