OFF: What is progressive ?

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Feb 12 12:19:28 EST 1997

>> From:          William Duffy <xl5 at IINET.NET.AU>

> Just had a thought on why some bands once regarded progressive no longer seem to be.
>
> Nowadays, when you enter CD shops you find heavy metal & hard rock bands like Deep
> Purple & Black Sabbath, who have been around quite some time, cataloqued under the main
> section of Rock/Pop. Whereas current artists like silverchair & Pearl Jam are in the
> Heavy Metal section (in West Australia anyway).
> These bands are no more or less heavy than their predecessors.

Interesting observation!  Maybe has something to do with the
perceived age group that would be considered fans of these groups.
Maybve the record store dudes figure that old fucks like me wouldn't
be caught dead browsing the racks labeled metal?

> I've also looked on various internet CD stores, and found some with categories labelled
> Progressive. Yet in these categories, there are no names I am familiar with. Meanwhile,
> King Crimson, Man, Faust, Can, Amon Duul, Soft Machine, etc., are all under their main
> section of Rock/Pop, along with Michael Jackson & Tina Turner.
>

> It's the same with how many of the artists we appreciate would have been the Alternative
> or Independent band in their early years.
>
> The reason I feel this happens is because it may be like a promotion. You have been
> around so long, that you are no longer required to hide in the obscure sections that
> only certain people would be viewing.

UNtil you're exhaisted like BOC/Sabbath!  Then it doesn't matter
anymore!

theo