HW Tattoos

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHU.AC.UK
Mon Feb 17 04:52:37 EST 1997

William Fuller wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Jon Browne wrote:
> > I was just wondering if any of you guys have got any Hawkwind tattoos
>
> Be careful because tattoos are a known vector for the Hepatitis virus.
> (not to mention AIDS...) This is the only reason I am against piercing,
> tattooing, etc. Make sure the parlour you go to is completely safe and the
> equipment is sterile. Even then, you're still taking a slight risk (some
> of these virii can live on instruments for up to 15 minutes, and even
> bleach doesn't kill them).

All decent tattoo and piercing studios use autoclaves to sterilise
their equipment and a new needle for each customer. If you're paranoid
you can ask them to take the needle out of the vaccuum pack in front
of you. If a tattooist infects his/her customers then they'll quickly
go out of business so they take precautions!

BTW in the UK many body artists are registered with the Dept of Health.
I don't know what the registration process involves but that contrasts
with the US where they self-regulate via some sort of *professional*
organisation.

For more information on getting and keeping tats or pierces see the
rec.arts.bodyart FAQ.

As for what HW tat I'd get well... more thought required but as a first
pass what about the HW logo from SA/CYM?

Chris