Motorhead gig stopped

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Feb 20 12:17:45 EST 1997

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, dench wrote:

> Frank was incredibly selfish - he stopped a gig at the London Rainbow in
> 1971 because he had been pushed off stage and broken his back.  What a
> lightweight!

He broke his leg, not his back (when he was pushed off the stage by a
"fan" and fell into the orchestra pit).  He also suffered a crushed
larynx, lowering his singing voice by about an octave.  He said later he'd
always wanted to sing in a lower register, but that wasn't quite what he
had in mind as a means of achieving it.

But I agree, what a selfish lightweight---I hear he even stopped a gig in
Switzerland, just because the concert hall was set on fire by a "fan."
(The infamous "Smoke on the Water" concert.) ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

obHW: I believe Frank's return to Britain after that incident was kicked
off with a gig at the Oval, which included Hawkwind as one of the support
acts.  Certainly, I've seen a reproduced ticket stub to that effect.

obLP: Frank Zappa, _Swiss Cheese/Fire!_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.