OFF: Amber Revisited

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Tue Feb 25 06:15:52 EST 1997

William Stone writes:

>   Watching figure skating on the tube this weekend, I saw a young lady
> land in I believe fifth place with the name of Amber Corwin.
> Coincidence? :0

> Wylie, nervously eying his Trumps

There are Trumps for sale?

I've been looking into how to create good scenarios for Civilisation II
and was considering Amber. A good map could be built with a little
artistic licence. Maybe Amber at one end and the Courts at the other
with a winding path of glacier (wasted land) between 'em. There's
mountainous terrain for Kolvir, Forest in Arden and Sea around Rebma.
Other cities could be placed in "shadow" areas between the Courts and
Amber. Say Lorraine, Avalon, New York, etc.

The "events" macros could be used to simulate cards under certain
conditions. A Prince unit would have to reach the pattern (city) to gain
and gain "Trumps" technology to use 'em. Then any time such a unit
entered a city, it could move to any other city. That would just mean
replacing the Airport with Trumps and awarding a second dependency only
when the Pattern city was taken. The "events" could be used to "Trump" a
Prince unit to a safe area whenever it was attacked. Prince units
entering a city could immediately raise an "army" using the events
macro. Units could also be prevented from entering Tir'Na'Nogh except
every fourth turn. The Pattern and Tir'Na'Nogh could be Barbarian cities
with the effort of defeating resistance to enter the city equivalent to
walking the pattern or crossing the bridge. I guess the barbarian units
could have their gifs altered to demons or something.

I haven't seen a copy of "The Illustrated Amber". Does this contain any
maps? The technology tree would need to be substantially reworked,
perhaps replacing many technologies with Magic ones, and introducing the
Guns of Avalon as the only firearms. City improvements would also need
some reworking and I guess the city gifs could be altered to something
more fantasy oriented.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts on this, or is interested in
collaborating. Let me know...

FoFP