OFF: Earplugs revisited

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Wed Feb 26 15:31:41 EST 1997

Guido writes:

> I confess that I've never worn earplugs to a concert either, but it seems
> reasonable that you'd want to cut the higher frequencies a bit, and that you
> probably want a "low end" decibel rating. However, if they don't cost too much,
> you might want to get both a "low end" and a "high end" pair, and see which
> works best.

I bought a pair of Sonic II Noise Filters today (Al Bouchard's earplug of
choice;), and also have a pair of foam earplugs a friend gave me. The
Sonic II's are less comfortable to wear, but don't sound as "muffled"  as
the foam ones.

> > Btw, last time this topic cropped up, someone mentioned high-priced,
> > tailor-made earplugs---"musicians earplugs."  Well, I did a bit of
> > investigating about these, and the big deal about them is the fact that
> > they have a flat attenuation curve, i.e. they cut the sound by the same
> > amount across the audible frequency spectrum (unlike regular foam earplugs
> > which cut it more at higher frequencies).  I guess we could call them
> > "audiophile earplugs." :-)
>
> Unless these are prohibitively expensive they might be the best choice. If they
> do cost an arm and a leg, then you might want to get a cheap pair with a
> comparable decibel rating.

They do cost an arm and a leg ($150+, I seem to recall), because you have
to have an audiologist take an impression of your ear canal, which is used
as a blueprint for the custom-made earplugs.

> I envy you. I didn't hear about the Metallica concert (or it didn't register :-)
> ), and they're one of the few remaining bands I'd pay money to see. I hope it's
> a great show! :-)

Me too.  Like I said in my original post on this thread back in January,
it's not often SW Virginia gets *any* rock concerts, let alone someone
like Metallica.  This is definitely Country country. ;-)

Btw, according to today's local paper, they say tickets are still
available.  I am rather sceptical, though.  I bought my ticket the
afternoon of the day they went on sale, and when I got mine, the main
floor had already sold out and only the "reserved seating" around the
outside was still available.  Even then, the best I could get was near the
back.  Plus, two other people here have told me they wanted to go, but
couldn't get tickets (but then again, one of the people I am travelling
with tonight said he bought his ticket fairly late).  Maybe the local
paper is trying to drum up trade for the scalpers, or else the box office
purposefully keeps back a stash of tickets to flog on the night?

> obCDplayer--Frank Zappa Plays the Music of Frank Zappa

Is this a new release???

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Smashing Pumpkins, _Gish_