OFF: CLONE

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Feb 27 05:27:45 EST 1997

Allan T. Grohe, Jr. writes:

> OK, so what's the story on these sheep being cloned?  I've not heard
> anything here in Kansas (go figure) about it.  Are these sheep fully
> viable, as if not vat-grown??

They took an udder cell from an adult sheep and fused the nucleus with
the egg cell of another sheep from which they'd removed the nucleus.
They then implanted the egg into a third sheep and waited however many
sheep months you need to wait. "Dolly" now looks as much like any other
sheep that I've seen.

> Did they really _need_ to outlaw the cloning of humans, or was that just
> a nod in the direction of good old procreation the old fashioned way?

I think that our politicians, like politicians elsewhere, have never
seen anything they didn't want to regulate.

> Allan.

FoFP