OFF: CLONE

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Feb 27 06:13:05 EST 1997

Chris Bates writes:

> Yep, they're the real deal. That, of course, is what makes
> it so exciting for the scientists and soooooo scary for the
> no-brainers in the media. WHy is it that journalists (in the
> UK at least) are always trying to whip up big scares about
> things they don't understand?

Now *that* is the Spirit of the Age. From Child-eating Dogs through
Madmen With Guns, Feral Kids With Knives, Ravers On E, Ultraviolent
Videos and an entire encyclopedia of Threats To Life As We Know It, the
comics regale us with the news that Life Is Not 100% Safe and the
Government Should Do Something About It.

Which of course they're only too happy to do, by regulating what you
watch, what you read, what you may eat, what sorts of pets you may keep,
what you may use to defend yourself, what sorts of sex you may have, and
of course what you can put on the internet.

A neurotic demand for the impossible goal of 100% safety is leading to
the loss of more and more freedoms. It's a police state by popular
demand.

I'm geginning to think Toffler ws right and that Future Shock is
manifesting itself in an insane concern with trivial risks with the
solution being a blind unconcern with the one thing which has killed
most people this century: the state.

> Chris

FoFP