OFF: Civ I happiness

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Feb 27 11:33:58 EST 1997

Paul Mather writes:

> Actually, the thing that always irked me a little in Civ I was the way in
> which happiness seemed closely tied to religion.  Perhaps I am
> misunderstanding or misremembering, but it seems largely that the primary
> way to reduce the number of unhappy campers in a city (aside from the
> effects of military units) is through temples, cathedrals, and Elvis
> (which is a religion in itself:).  (Okay, there's the coliseum, but sport
> seems to be another religion---in the USA at least.;)  As an experiment, I
> often tried to delay "inventing" religion as long as possible in the
> scenarios I played, but, alas, there is no way to reach the lofty
> intellectual heights of "Future Tech. X"  without accepting "Bob" into our
> lives.
>
> Is Civ II any different?

I think Cathedrals are now worth less than two Elvises but J.S.Bach's
Cathedral is worth more, or vice versa, I forget.

> From what I've heard here, it seems that you
> could cut Religion out of the technology tree altogether.  Is that true?

You could, or you could replace it with "Tournaments", "Television",
"Football" and (obTopic) "Hawkwind".

The tech tree alteration is pretty powerful. I read a description of
someone's "Life Civilization" scenario where the tech is various
evolutionary stuff and the improvements are various organs in the body.
I guess it'd look like a cross between Civ and SimEarth.

Maybe I'll have one called "Sonic Attack" that takes down City Walls ;-)

> Paul.

FoFP