BOC-L T's was Re: hw

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Mon Jan 6 14:27:57 EST 1997

> I remember the most fuss being made over the ME262, with some people
> refusing point-blank to wear anything with "fascist war machinery" on it.
> (Personally, it was the slogan on that shirt that most irked me.  I
> *still* much prefer "Some Enchanted Network" even if the scans didn't
> quite reveal the loving computer networking detail you wove into the
> calligraphy on one of your aborted designs that bore that slogan.:)

Yup, SEN got my vote, whoever it was that thought it up.

> My other Nethawks t-shirt doesn't fare much better.  She calls that one
> "the penis shirt" because she claims the "standing stones" are actually
> penises. :-)
>
> Oh how innocent intentions are so wildly misconstrued... :-)

Hmm, its a fair cop. And like Martyn says, potatoes spring to mind, or melting
snowmen. The hawk is way too small as well. My only defence being as I remember
letting rip with an airbrush at about 1 in the morning to do that design, after
a few too many pints of Crones scrumpy %-}

> (Mind you, none of that is as bad as being accused of actually *being* a
> Nazi by a roommate just because you listen to Laibach!)

Sheesh. Really, some people...

> > anybody ???
>
> I don't know enough about printing shirts either, but if you printed using
> a halftoning process, you could print a huge number of colours using only
> four screens---one for each of cyan, yellow, magenta, and black.  I don't
> know how coarse a halftoning cell you'd have to use, though, so the
> quality might not be as good as using one screen per colour.  I imagine
> that economics require some kind of halftoning for printing photorealistic
> images on t-shirts, and surely those "your picture on this t-shirt" deals
> halftone the image?

Most of the cheapo "put a design on a shirt" places round these parts rely on
a straight photocopy of the picture onto a transfer which is applied to the
shirt. Fer some reason, it seems that the surround always comes out white,
which in turn means generally only white shirts are used. Bummer. Hence my
thoughts of putting it onto a transparent.

Tim