OFF: Online WWW book

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Tue Jan 7 16:38:56 EST 1997

WARNING!  Shameless plug for free online resource about the WWW included
below!

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Martyn White wrote:

> OK, we're way off-topic now but what the hell is Web-TV?

I'm surprised you haven't seen the advertisements in print and on TV.
Web-TV is a manifestation of the "Network Computer" concept.  Basically,
Web-TV is a product from Magnavox to allow people to browse the WWW
through their TV using a standard remote control.  As I understand it,
Web-TV comes as a subscription service to their Internet provider, which
delivers Web-TV-enhanced product.  As with other WWW browsers, users can
send e-mail, access Usenet, browse the WWW, etc. (or so I gather).

For those interested in the "Network Computer", a chapter on it appears in
an online book about the WWW produced by a class I took in Fall '96.  The
pertinent chapter is chapter 23: Internet for the Masses.  The URL of the
book is:

                http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~wwwbtb/book/

Everyone who took the class contributed a chapter.  I recommend that
people avoid chapter 6 at all costs... ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: The Bevis Frond, _New River Head_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.