OFF: RIP UWP lyrics archive

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Tue Jan 7 16:46:29 EST 1997

Paul Mather writes:

> On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Martyn White wrote:
>
> >         The saddest day for the internet was when the first lawyer
> > logged on
>
> Actually, there's more truth in that than you realise.  Wasn't "spamming"
> first introduced to Usenet by the Cantor and Siegel law firm??  (Anyone
> remember their now-legendary and seminal "Green Card Lottery" spam?)

I actually bumped into their spammed post on every one of the
half-dozen or so newsgroups that I was following at the time, and I
remember thinking to myself that it was pretty annoying.  I *didn't*,
however, realize that it heralded the "Beginning of the End" of the
net as we knew it...

These days, I have a net service provider that specifically filters
mail from known spam sites (or rather, offers an umbrella of
protection which users can voluntarily place themselves under).  I use
these "spam filters", and I *still* get as much as 4 or 5 spam
mailings per day.

Steve
swann at panix.com