BOC Fans have a right to be selfish.

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Jan 9 06:33:18 EST 1997

>> From:          Ted Alger <talger at PIPELINE.COM>

> >Theo>True, but if they keep alienating fans and fail to draw in new ones
> >with new material, how long can they expect to make money touring?
> >
> >No disagreement there theo.  Afterall we pay our money to attend the
> >shows and buy whats out there in terms of recordings.  This gives us the
> >right to want this stuff.  Still if I look at it from their point of
> >veiw, I'm sure Al would know, I bet they make more money now doing shows
> >than when they toured the arenas in the 70's & 80's.  Can you blame

I'm pretty sure this is true.  Plus their collective heads are on a
bit straighter these days and they manage things better...

> >Now as a fan I'm a little on the opposite side of the spectrum.  I want
> >BOC to continue to do the club thing.  I can get real close to the
> >stage, I can hang out with them after the show.  Hell I can pass stuff
> >on stage to the guys.  Couldn't do that in the arena days and won't go

I dig the intimacy of the clubs for sure, but the problem is, when
bands perform on that level, they are no longer perceived as big
stars by the industry.  Hence they have less leverage with record
companies, etc.  Look what an arduous struggle it's been for them to
just get one record out in ten years and on a dinky label at that!
Granted, their own inertia is the biggest cause, but...

> >see them at some huge arena if they get big now.  No offense but I'm too
> >old and frail to fight the mosh pit wars.  So thats my selfish desire,
> >may not be in line with what the band wants or other fans but it is what
> >I want.
> >
> >lil ab

Well, I ain't afraid of them young whipersnappers.  The last punk
that moshed me is still eating through a straw!  But seriously, that
part of a major concert IS a drag.  But what are you going to do?
Stop going to arena concerts?  If it's  a band I haven't seen in a
while, I'll still go...

> I have to agree....I've seen the band in some large venues, and quite frankly
> it sucked (not the music) because of all the drunken idiots whose idea
> of fun is to go to the show drunk (no matter who it is) and get stupid....I
> know

If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em!

> this happens at the clubs, but its on a smaller scale and you're more
> surprises.....and if they DO play 75% of the same stuff all the time, well, so
> do the Stones and the  Who and all the other "nostalgia" bands.  I mean,

True enough, but most other bands still put out albums at least
sporadically, and they always include a couple of newer tunes.  Even
the Stones stir up their setlist from time to time.  I mean, BOC are
professional musicians.  I really don't think it's so much to ask to
have them change things around a bit.  I return to my original
argument:  I think BOC would be protecting its own livelihood if they
made things a bit more vital to the fans...

theo