HW: The OzHawks Log - First Installment

Paul G Ward paul at PCMICRO.COM.AU
Thu Jan 9 08:58:25 EST 1997

Hi All,

I was going to write an in depth review of last nights "Hawkwind
Appreciation Night", but I'm more tired than I though I was, so I'll
keep it short (thank God they say .....)

It was a Wednesday night, so that fact that only about 40 people came
wasn't too dissappointing - those that did were certainly
enthusiastic! The low numbers I think could have been due to the
minimalist promotion we did - just stuck some flyers in record stores
and so on, and put an advert in a local music mag (if anyone in
Melb has a copy of the issue of "Beat" with the add I'd like to see
it!).

Anyway, it was held in a pub in a soon-to-be band room of about 350
cap (used to be a bistro), and basically we just played HW CD's for 5
hours REAL BLOODY LOUD ;^)))) I stopped the music for about 5 minutes
half way through to talk about the tour and OzHawks and so on, and
proudly wore my new OzHawks T-Shirt ... which I forget to mention was
available for purchase (design is at
http://www.pcmicro.com.au/OzHawks/tshirt.html).

Most of the attendees were total Hawknuts (one was particularly
"happy" ..... ), but there were 2 or 3 who "discovered" HW last night
(including the barman). There were some people from 3RRR-FM and Paul
from Heartland Records, as well as Mark from the "Australian
Hawklords". A few of the others were in bands who do HW covers as
well! Everyone had a great time and totally tripped out when they
found out that the event was happening.

I think everyone who was there had a great time.

Naturally, a few leads for organising the Oz tour developed over the
night, not the least of which is the fact that the guy from the
Hawklords is great mates with the gut who did all the audio and
lighting for the Kiss tour .... and today they called me to confirm
that they are happy to do the same for HW!

That's it for now ... I'll attact the promotion for the next one a
little differently, and try to get a venue for it on a Fri or Sat
night, and also get some of these cover bands happening.

Night all!

Paul