Off: The Year in Music

Thu Jan 9 16:03:12 EST 1997

Record sales totaled 616.6 million an increase of less than 1% over
1995.  Revenue was flat at $12 billion, same as last year.  <-----No
growth for this market is a bad sign. Compare to 1994 when the market
tripled from $4 billion in annual sales to $12 billion.

I've heard a big reason for this has to do with in the past, people were
buying alot more CDs to replace their old vinyl/cassettes/8-tracks, but
now alot of people's collections are filled, so they aren't buying as
many CDs now.  Of course (with my "old fart" hat firmly in place) another
big reason is that alot of the music out there today sucks ;-)

John