OFF: very, spam question,was:OFF: RIP UWP lyrics archive

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Jan 9 18:16:51 EST 1997

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Andy C wrote:

> Andy C wrote:
>
> > No you can see the mail address of people who visit your web site only the
> > IP address or domain name. (With all webservers I've used)
>
> You wouldn't believe what can be done with Java.  It's pure eeeevil.
>
> Tori
>

> Would you like to explain that  ?  Javascript maybe, Java I am resonably sure would
> not allow you to do it.

Doesn't it depend upon the SecurityManager implementation?  Some apps are
more loose-lipped than other in this regard.  I believe HotJava, for
example, is much more permissive than, say, Netscape.

There's a chapter on Internet/Java security in that online WWW book I
posted the URL for lately.  I dunno if the extent of Java's eeeeevil is
exposed there.

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: The Tragically Hip, _Road Apples_