OFF: Motorhead!

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Tue Jan 14 10:39:40 EST 1997

> Got to agree.  In fact, *all* the best concerts I've been to (sound-wise)
> were at moderate volume.
>
> Probably the best mixed concert I ever saw was the Eagles reunion
> tour.  And that was at an outdoor stadium, with omnidirectional
> speakers mounted on the tops of 15' poles.  It looked like a recipe
> for disaster, but it sounded *perfect*, I could hear the nuances of
> every instrument and vocal.

Yup, the sound at Wembley last year for the Eagles was suprisingly good for
an large outdoor venue.

The first time BOC the Forum of recent ('92 ?) had pretty good sound after
the initial hideous mixing and mic changing.

Not the best quality, but one of the most memorable set-ups had to be the
Kyuss gig a couple of years ago. Forget ear protection - the sub woofers in
the PA relied purely on bone conduction :-) My sternum was just vibrating!
It was Type O Neg the very next night in the same place that destroyed my
hearing. Like John says, most of the guys on the sound desks must have totally
trashed ears, since he set it up impossibly loud for the size of venue.

> I always carry some kind of ear protection these days, although I only
> use it if the sound is "overly" loud.

I use 'em almost regardless of initial volume. Otherwise I keep thinking of
those little cillia bending over permanently, ruining my ability to hear the
nuances my reasonably expensive hi-fi delivers. Yup, so call me a wimp Andy....
I SAID SO CALL ME A WIMP ANDY ! :-)

Tim