Downloadin' CD's...

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Wed Jan 15 00:50:05 EST 1997

----------
From:   Andrew A. Apold[SMTP:mordru at MAGG.NET]
Sent:   Wednesday, January 15, 1997 12:19 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list BOC-L
Subject:        Re: Downloadin' CD's...

>The reason why, my friend, is BANDWIDTH

This from the guy who keeps sending those annoying graphic attatchments on
all his messages....<g>

Yo' bucko, get a new mail program, what lets ya' see all of these neat-o fonts and colors that
I am sending this stuff out in. Come, join us, don't be afraid...Bill Gates is our master...come...
>:-)

But at least give me credit for deleting a lot of stuff before I send it, hokay?

Hmmm.  I still think it's more likely that you'll see stores burning their
cd-roms when you purchase stuff.  Don't know exactly how this affects things
except it might shift emphasis away from albums to singles somewhat.
Whatever goes on this kind of front will still be at the industry's whim, I
suppose.

This exact scenario was supposed to be implemented back in the early '90's. Your local CD emporium
would only stock blank CD-R's. You would go in, request the title that you wanted, the data would be downloaded
to the blank CD-R and a nifty color laser printer would print the CD booklet. This would be especially cool if you could
get any musical title from anywhere in the world. I think what killed this was the copyright issue. There was a cassette
version of this that did get limited deployment in the late '80's called Personics; however I don't think that you could get
an entire album burned to tape, just selected hit singles, in the order that you chose...I think the limited selection didn't help
much, along with the rise in CD's and the copyright thang...

Craig Shipley
craigs at pyramid.com

Roger Shrubstaff               "I was corrupt before I had power!" - Random

Baron of Silverwater, Kingdom of the Burning Lands (Amtgard)
http://www.magg.net/~mordru/silver.htm
(Andrew A. Apold)