OFF:was Motorhead! now Metal Church

Troy Harris tlh at RUBENS.ITS.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Jan 15 01:38:39 EST 1997

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Andrew A. Apold wrote:

> At 11:41 PM 1/14/97 +0100, Daniel Wikdahl wrote:
> >Steve writes;
> >>As for the "loudest concert" thread... that would have to be, without
> >>a shadow of a doubt, Metal Church.  I'll never forget when I first
> >>walked into that concert hall... it literally *was* a "hall".
> ><SNIP>
>
> Wasn't it The Who in the Seattle Kingdome?
>
> As for me, ashamed to admit it was Stryper, but that wasn't fair because I
> really wasn't there, just inside a building a few blocks away from it, involved
> in a minor role in a theater (if you must ask, Merchant of Venus).  We had to
> cancel the show, no one in the audience could hear any lines being spoken.

  Stryper were great live, but not real loud in Melbourne.
 For me the loudest was Motorhead.  I saw them at Selina's in Sydney.  It
was hilarious.  The support band, Lightning Rock, were banging away, when
Lemmy appeared behind the crowd on the balcony-- the whole crowd turned
around to salute him, and the support band were completely upstaged by
Lemmy just making an appearence.  They weren't too bad either.
  Then, when motorhead came on, Lemmy stepped up to the mike, and said
"Hello Sydney", and the crowd roared.  I thought "**** that's loud!!".
Then, he broke into the bass intro to "Iron Fist", and I thought "**** me
dead!, that's LOUD!!!".  Then , the whole four piece broke into the song,
and I was in astonished agony, I thought "Holy **** , were all gonna
die!!!!".  For the rest of the gig, I put my hands to my ears at the start
of each song, so I could work out which song *it was*.  The only song I
could pick without covering my ears was the distincive intro of
"Overkill".
  Always take earplugs along today. (just in case).

   Troy