BOC: Motivation and Albums

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Jan 15 09:28:20 EST 1997

> From:          "BREVARD Adrian R." <ABrevard at SHL.COM>
>
> Carl>-Bite away.  The "current" BOC album deal has indeed fallen
> through.
> If I recall aright they recorded only 7 songs and the label told them to
> piss off ...-
>         Figures ...
>
> First to John - You wear glasses?  I never imagined.  Carl did this come
> from the AOL chat last night? Was there a "spin doctor" explanation?
> Truly disheartening.  I won+t even ask if there was a plausible
> explanation offered by Eric during the chat.  Maybe his current
> condition had something to do with it.
Say, Brian, didn't EB make reference yet again to the new album at
the Utica gig, or did he just refer to Harvest and Live for Me as new
songs?  I don't remember, but I thought he said they were from a new
album...

Here's a point that I can't explian:
If BOC have no interest in putting out new material, why do they
continue to play new songs that aren't on record when we see them
live?  Seems like it would just detract from their presence as a
nostalgia act?  Why let stuff like the great Harvest take away from
yet another listening of BFY, that we all are awaiting with bated
breath?

And if they really do want to make another album, why in the hell
don't they go the route Al took and simply do it themselves?  Penury,
I suspect.  These guys want to schlep around and piss away their
careers, and still somehow find some sucker to pay them to make a
record.  Dudes, it ain't gonna happen.  I suspect that when the
euro-trash label got a whiff of what BOC was really about, esp. EB's
incredible shrinking vox, they bailed in a nano-second.  They
probably got a vibe that didn't exactly fill them with confidence,
and they made a sensible business decision.  And this is really too
bad, 'cause the new material I heard last month was truly worthy
stuff.  Where's the nearest wall so I can smack my head against it...
theo