BOC: Motivation and Albums

John Halligan halligan at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jan 15 13:22:05 EST 1997

>> From:          "BREVARD Adrian R." <ABrevard at SHL.COM>
>>
>> Carl>-Bite away.  The "current" BOC album deal has indeed fallen
>> through.
>> If I recall aright they recorded only 7 songs and the label told them to
>> piss off ...-
>>         Figures ...
>>
>> First to John - You wear glasses?  I never imagined.  Carl did this come
>> from the AOL chat last night? Was there a "spin doctor" explanation?
>> Truly disheartening.  I won+t even ask if there was a plausible
>> explanation offered by Eric during the chat.  Maybe his current
>> condition had something to do with it.
>Say, Brian, didn't EB make reference yet again to the new album at
>the Utica gig, or did he just refer to Harvest and Live for Me as new
>songs?  I don't remember, but I thought he said they were from a new
>album...

Eric said before Harvest that the new album would be out March 1st.  What I
couldn't understand is that he never said the name of the song!

>Here's a point that I can't explian:
>If BOC have no interest in putting out new material, why do they
>continue to play new songs that aren't on record when we see them
>live?  Seems like it would just detract from their presence as a
>nostalgia act?  Why let stuff like the great Harvest take away from
>yet another listening of BFY, that we all are awaiting with bated
>breath?

They like to torture us.  It's part of their little sadistic game ;)

>And if they really do want to make another album, why in the hell
>don't they go the route Al took and simply do it themselves?  Penury,
>I suspect.  These guys want to schlep around and piss away their
>careers, and still somehow find some sucker to pay them to make a
>record.  Dudes, it ain't gonna happen.  I suspect that when the
>euro-trash label got a whiff of what BOC was really about, esp. EB's
>incredible shrinking vox, they bailed in a nano-second.  They
>probably got a vibe that didn't exactly fill them with confidence,
>and they made a sensible business decision.  And this is really too
>bad, 'cause the new material I heard last month was truly worthy
>stuff.  Where's the nearest wall so I can smack my head against it...
>theo

I continue to have an optimistic outlook on BOC's album rumors.  Until they
come right out and say it, I'll continue thinking they're still on the
label.  If the deal has indeed fallen through, they should just tape their
recordings on blank 90min tapes and sell them at concerts 'cause if a
"euro-trash" label doesn't want them, who will?  That's it!  Back to
basics!  Sell the new music on cheap tapes and create a new BOC t-shirt
with "Blue Oyster Cult" in iron-on fuzzy letters, and the album art on the
back done in fabric crayon.  Play the "starving artist" angle! :P

Brian

Brian T. Halligan           "Halligbt at bigvax.alfred.edu"
Alfred University
Communication Studies- '97

"Free is when you don't have to pay for nothing or do
 nothing.  We want to be free, free as the wind."
        -Frank Zappa