HW: Hawkwind/Pendragon CD

RJ SPRAWL at STARLINX.COM
Wed Jan 15 17:32:16 EST 1997

this is not always true. for instance...a painting from a particular
painter's collection may be permitted by the artist to be used on a book
cover. then years later molly hatchet wants to use it. if the artist allows
it,well
its not ripping it off.  also,if a copyright isn't actively protected,often
after a period of non-defence the
artwork will become public domain. then anyone can use it without
permission.i don't personally know of any blatant rip-offs,but i suppose it
may happen.
p.s. i do know that a LOT of paintings are specifically painted to
illustrate a story for a bookcover,then
later gets used as an album cover. michael whelan painted the one cover for
stormbringer,which later
appeared on the cover of a c'rith ungol album.i dont know if it was legal,i
no longer have the album to check.

On the subject of album cover rip-offs, I wonder if there are any others
out there that have been used on other albums, books, mags, etc.. I know
that there are many other artists who have had their album covers ripped
off.

William