OFF: RE: Re: Downloadin' CD's...

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Thu Jan 16 02:54:42 EST 1997

Btw, since there is a big impetus for video on demand, there is a LOT of
effort being put into solving this problem.  If they get video on demand
to work, all the stuff that AB wanted will naturally follow as a
corollary.

Funny you mention video-on-demand, that is exactly the reason why I'm flying between Atlanta, California and Fort Lauderdale. Seems that a potential customer thinks that there may be a market for it :-). And guess who has to support this puppy when it gets deployed on one of the largest cruise ships in the world? Oh, life is so cruel.....:-)

Frighteningly, the world seems to be turning back to centralised
computing.  (See the chapter in that online WWW book I posted the URL for;
see chapters 22 & 23.)  This seems a big step back in many ways for the
user, IMHO, but a Good Thing[tm] for administrators and large
corporation$.

Ironically, this computing paradigm is what I have supported (physically, not philosophically) for my entire professional career. It has been good to me, so far...But I prefer to have the power, programs and storage that I need in my own possession (however, there are times when it is nice to have my non-sensitive data stored elsewhere where it gets backed up regularly and to be able to use superior processing power to anything available on a desktop i.e. 12 200MHz R4400's with 2GB of RAM. I don't think that we will ever see a day when we return to the true centralized computer, unless the "Web TV" concept really takes hold (and, even then, I think that those individuals that go the "cheap computer" route are going to be those that will use the computer and the Net for its most elementary needs. "Goll-eee Martha, look-a here! I kin get nekkid-lady pictures here on th' TV an' ah ain't even got ta pay for th' Playboy Channel!
An' lookit, here's sumthin' for you! Th' Home Shoppin' Network has got a Web page!! Shoot!!!").

objCD-ROM Drive: Mick Ronson / Only After Dark (his first two LP's, plus bonus material). I love the used bins in California...

Craig Shipley
Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys, _For The Last Time_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.