OFF: Moorcock/Shirley

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Thu Jan 16 07:53:52 EST 1997

Guido Vacano writes:

> > I noticed one
> > called "The Fall of Melnibone". I don't have the 'puter configured for
> > CD-Rom yet so I haven't had a look but I presume that user-configured
> > units will include dragons.
>
> Where'd you see this (not that I need any more help frittering away my time
> :-) )?

There was a Civilization II site on the Web called "Heaven" or something
like that with around 60 scenarios including maps and new units (with
new icons in some cases). As well as Melnibone, I remember that there
was a Lord of the Rings one and a Star Wars one.

> > If anyone is interested, I'd also like to find or create an Amber
> > scenario.
>
> That would be very cool.

I had a brief think about this. A map would probably include Amber,
Earth, the Primal Pattern, Tir Na Nogh, Lorraine, and maybe the Courts.
There'd have to be some poetic licence since streets aren't really
available in Civ though a "Steps" terrain square could probably be
created for the scenario, perhaps replacing Tundra. The books leave
enough open for creative mapmaking. The difficulty is in creating any
kind of maze-like single connection, such as to Ti Na Nogh (since maps
are complete terrain rather than connective ones as in Adventure.
However the new "Events" macros could maybe set things up so that Tir Na
Nogh could only be entered and left every fourth turn or something.

Limiting tech is straightforward through pruning the Tech Tree, and
adding some kinds of "magic" tech wouldn't be too hard. For example
having the "Trumps" tech could allow certain units much greater
movement. Things like "Hellhound" units would be fairly straightfrward.

If any Civ players want to get together to discuss ideas, let me know.

> Guido

FoFP