BOC: Give 'em a break?

Fri Jan 17 10:00:56 EST 1997

Some of my thoughts on recent BOC-L discussions (which I have been a
willing participant as well):

We here on BOC-L have pretty much pissed and moaned (and I count
myself in this group) about BOC promising a new album for years and
failing to deliver.  Well, presumably a new album is going to come
out soon.  Is it definite?  No.  But, from everything I can see, this
band is closer to getting an album (of new material) out, *Bad Channels*
and *Imaginos* not withstanding, than at any point in their last 10
years.  While only time will tell if the album actually does get
released, I do think we ought to cut the band *a little* slack for
a little while, at least until we see whether or not they can release
the new material as promised.  Sure, we've all hear the promises of
the past, but I also think we didn't hear any substantial evidence of
them doing anything in the past.  At least now we have reports that all
the songs are recorded - 7 of the 10 songs (and Bolle will report the
titles shortly - he has discussed them a bit with me and I know the other
3 titles, but am not telling at this time) have been played live, so
we at least know they exist.  The band presumably has a deal, and is
working on distribution.  We can be somewhat cynical about it, but hey,
they said March 1st, and it's not, so we ought to *at least* wait until
then before we bash 'em too hard based on their past history.

I've heard these claims about BOC-L being not the fawning fans that we
think AOL folks are, and after spending some time on AOL, I think it is
true that the AOL folks tend to be more positive.  Sure, Eric and Buck
being over there is part of the reason, but still, it isn't exactly
the "fawning" that some have claimed it to be.  There are some very
insightful BOC fans on AOL.  And, which do you think is a better motivator
for the band:  fans who bitch about what's wrong with BOC, or fans who
praise the band for what they've done?  This is all not meant to start
an "us vs. them" thing here (again).

John