BOC: Give 'em a break?

Andrew Gilham Andy_Gilham at MSN.COM
Fri Jan 17 16:20:24 EST 1997

>From my time on AOL last year, I don't think it's so much "fawning idolatry",
so much as a lot of the AOL people earnestly believe that BOC are the best
band in the world, right now in the nineties.  They're even crazier about them
now than I was in 1978!  They do things like organise letter-writing campaigns
to get BOC on Jay Leno.  (Dream on!)  When someone mentioned that he'd had the
piss mildly taken on the Bush (I think) board on AOL for liking BOC, several
of them wanted to (metaphorically) go over there and sort them out!

To oversimplify like mad, I'd say they're mostly "true fans", whereas I think
there's a lot of foilks on BOC-L who *used* to be fans, but stick around for
the company.

But if there's one reason I'm "negative" about BOC, it's _Cult Classic_ - I
admit I was a bit dubious about it as I bought it, but I was hoping for
best-ever versions of classic tunes, revitalised and reinterpreted for the
nineties.  (Like Kraftwerk's _The Mix_, maybe.)  But as Neil says, "Bought it
from a friend, on whom you can depend, when I got it home it was a piece of
crap".

But if and when, I'll definitely be buying the new album, and I'll do my best
to "listen without prejudice".
Is that positive enough for ya? :)

- Andy