OFF: Silly laws in the U>*K*<

Martyn White white at BORG.MED.ECU.EDU
Sat Jan 18 15:18:12 EST 1997

>OK, that's enough talk of the silly laws here on the big side of the pond.
>
>I just saw an episode of "TV Nation" that went to the good ol' U.K., and
>guess what it found out....
>
>BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!  I can't believe it.  You Brits have to pay for a
>*license* to watch the telly!  (I know, it's a license to *have* a telly,
>but I heard about the numerous people who've been arrested for watching
>someone else's television w/out a license.)
>
>At least most (yes, I said most) of our weird laws seemed to make sense
>when whoever-it-was thought them up.
>
>Hmmm... :)
>Damon

        This may seem silly to you but the system provides the money
to run channels (BBC1 and BBC2) that are free of commercials and thus
the need to pamper to the needs of the advertisers.  To some
extent this has served to provide some good quality programs that
otherwise would not have seen the light of day.  On the other hand
it is "state" TV and subject to the abuses of government censorship

0.02

Martyn